investingfromtheright

I am retired and take educated guesses on all things financial.

June 14, 2007

June 15, 2007: Can you have both growth and yield: Ask Curly..."Soitonlee"!






Pictures: Curly of the Three Stooges, The USCG Tall Ship Eagle, the United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, Ct.


Talking heads are all over the map regarding the future direction of the market. "If this does that, and he does this, and they do that because it is this"....yadayadayada...it reminds me of the old comic, Jackie Mason. Even Mr. Kindheart, talk show host Michael Savage imitates him quite well (whether he realises it or not).

Growth or value or sell? I did a screening for growth stocks that actually pay a nice dividend.You might be interested in taking a look for your portfolio. They are:

The Standard Register Company (SR) trading at 12 dividend 7.90%
Highland Hospitality (HIH) trading at 19.25 dividend 4.77%
Equity Inns (ENN) trading at 19.72 dividend 5.00%
Atlas Pipeline Partners, LP (ALP) trading at 53.90 dividend 6.39%
Crawford and Company Class B (CRD.B) trading at 6.66 dividend 3.71%
Ferrellgas Partners, LP (FGP) trading at 26.08 dividend 8.40%
Sunstone Hotel Investors (SHO) trading at 28.75 dividend 4.45%
Vicor Corp. (VICR) trading at 12.46 dividend 4.93%
Maguire Properties, Inc. (MGR) trading at 34.81 dividend 4.59%
DiamondRock Hospitality Company (DRH) trading at 18.35 dividend 5.18%
Spirit Finance Corporation (SFC) trading at 14.52 dividend 6.07%
EV Energy Partners, LP (EVEP) trading at 38.07 dividend 4.90%

Due diligence, please, on each stock on the list.

I will be in Mississippi and Alabama (Gulf coastal areas) practicing real estate and hopefully school others in one of my vices:blackjack. I also will be touring the USAF bases in the area and will be having a much anticipated evening meal with the lead pilot for the USCG Hurricane Watch team. He had to loose about 60 lbs. since attending the United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT. where he was a football guard blocking for my son, the halfback, during four years of starting. I have no doubt he saved my boy from many a nasty tackle, so this is payback in a small way.

Speaking of the Coast Guard Academy, if you have a high school student looking for a superb career and a wonderful Ivy League-quality education, I heartily recommend he US Coast Guard Academy for a college choice. It is extremely competitive to get into, as it is the only service academy that bases entrance solely on merit and not upon the political recommendation of a Senator or Congressman. They have a nice website (Google United States Coast Guard Academy) official site.

Due to my travels and obligations, my posts may be sporadic this weekend. If I have something important to say, I will so state in a blog post when I have time to compose.