investingfromtheright

I am retired and take educated guesses on all things financial.

June 09, 2008

June 9, 2008: Stocks That Will Be Negatively Impacted When (if) Oil Hits $150.00/barrel

Many e-mails from my blog commented to me stating that the list of stocks appreciating with oil at $150.00 contained some surprises and made for a useful beginning for research. With that in mind, here is what the team at Credit Suisse First Boston came up with for stocks that will be hard hit at that oil strike price:


Sunoco (SUN)

Alcoa (AA)

Dow Chemical (DOW)

USAirways (LCC)

Overseas Shipping Group (OSG)

BE Aerospace (BEAV)

Clorox (CLX)

American Axle (AXL)

General Motors (GM)

Ford (F)

Sears Holdings (SHLD)

Cabela's (CAB)

Royal Caribbean (RCL)

Annaly Mortgage (NLY)

Citi (C)

AmeriCredit (ACF)

TDAmeritrade (AMTD)

Tyco Electronics (TEL)

Global Payments (GPN)

Advanced Medical Optics (EYE)

Becton Dickinson (BOX)


I do not agree with the Dow Chemical selection, as DOW is producing lots of product in countries that have the oil at subsidized prices. I like DOW.

I had a few critics at a companion web site that were critical of my "list" without research to back it up. Two points, the research is for CSFB subscribers and I am not going to copy a twenty-eight page report. Second, going to the websites of the few who wrote beefing about seeing just a "list", I saw a managerie of hacked graphs with obscure trends that would have made Benjamin Graham smile - or roll over in his grave.

This above list is a starting point to begin your own research, be it fundamental or via some pseudo-gospel bobs and weaves on a chart.