investingfromtheright

I am retired and take educated guesses on all things financial.

April 09, 2009

April 9, 2009: Timely Quotes from Those Who Knew...

My focus has been to recoup, reposition and forge ahead using a variety of investment and income streams to make sure that 2008 will forever be in the rear view mirror. To date, I am pleased with initial efforts while continuing to stay light in the market.

Titans of business have faced similar - and worse - situations. Here are some quotes that may give you both respite and a smile today:

"I don't care half so much about making money as I do about making my point, and coming out ahead." - Cornelius Vanderbilt

"I have been insane on the subject of moneymaking all my life." - Cornelius Vanderbilt

"You have undertaken to cheat me. I won't sue you, for the law is too slow. I will destroy you." - Cornelius Vanderbilt

"We can't cross that bridge until we come to it, but I always like to lay down a pontoon ahead of time." - Bernard Baruch

"Most of the successful people I've known are the ones who do more listening than talking." - Bernard Baruch

"The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many men as possible." Bernard Baruch

"Always do one less thing than you think you can do." - Bernard Baruch

"In the last analysis, our only freedom is the freedom to discipline ourselves." -Bernard Baruch

"During my seventy-eight years I have witnessed a whole succession of technological revolutions. But none of them has done away with the need for character in the individual or the ability to think." - Bernard Baruch

"Vote for the man who promises least; he'll be the least disappointing." - Bernard Baruch

"We did not come over on the same ship. but we are all in the same boat." - Bernard Baruch

"I've got to keep breathing. It'll be my worst business mistake if I don't." - Sir Nathan Rothschild

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes her laws." - Mayer Amschel Rothschild

"Anyone without a sense of humor is at the mercy of everyone else." - William E. Rothschild